Saturday, July 18, 2015

Posterity

At the beginning of July, I went to the Christensen family reunion where my cousins Melodie and Rachel gave great lessons about Grandpa and Grandma Christensen. One thing that stood out to me during their lessons was that Grandpa and Grandma always wrote in their journals. Something that bothers me about journaling was actually addressed in one of their lessons: I don't want to bore my posterity! I want them to enjoy reading about my life! Grandma's journal though, mentions in almost every entry how she went and served in the temple, or how she saw this or that child/grandchild. I am sure as she wrote it she wondered who would bother to read her journals about her daily life - Boring!  No, not boring. It is amazing that she could teach us, even just from her journals just how important family and the temple was to her.
I actually flipped to Grandma's journal in July of 1989. She had an entry the day I was born, and the day after! Grandma put in her journal how my mom came and visited her, and that my mom was so uncomfortable and how she was very excited to have that baby.  The next day, she wrote something along the lines of "Virgil called me at 11:45 PM last night telling me they had a new baby girl!" It was underlined in red with a little more information about me. How cool is that?


This is the last picture I have of my Grandma Roma Christensen before she died.  I am glad I knew her and that I could read her journals at the Christensen reunion.  It definitely taught me the importance of keeping a journal for my future kids and grandkids. I will end with a couple more pictures of the reunion this year!

Riding with Uncle Mike on his Harley

Fun activities and homemade icecream

Gretchen, Shantelle, and me :)

Sleeping beauties (uncle Mike and Aaron)

And the end of reunion feast!


2 comments: